Work–life balance is the proper prioritizing between “work”(career and ambition)) on one hand and “life” (pleasure, leisure, family and spiritual development) on the other. If you are facing with some of the below statements, you might suffer from lack of balance at your work and your life:
- Forgot how your family looks like
- Need to get a life, meaning, purpose etc.
- Feel pressure to do more with less?
- High level of “emergency mode”
- Feel that you are not in charge of your life
- Feel guilty for not being at work or home
- Friends or family members calling you a workaholic
A separation between work and the “rest” of your life can become unclear. It happened when work overwhelms everything else. If you value your sanity and well-being, building a healthy balance between time spent at work and time spent with your family and friends should is imperative. Below you can find some suggestions that can help you find work-life balance:
- Realize that whenever possible work should be shaped to accommodate life and not the other way around.
- Take time to think strategically about where you can add most value.
- Get organized and plan in advance; write a “to-do” list for the next day
- Say “NO”’ more often – but constructively – say ”Let me see how I can help you.”
- Delegate and facilitate so others do more on your behalf.
- Avoid reactive, fire-fighting mode. Learn to prioritize.
- Live the life you want to live (yet accept life)
- Plan now your next vacation
- Get proper sleep and rest
- Set a specific time to leave work every day and do it
- Learn stress management skills, time management skills as well as assertiveness skills
- Define your work-life balance clearly. It’s difficult to access if it stays general.
- When you add an activity, drop something. You have a limited resources and time.
- “Unwind” with something personally or spiritually fulfilling and relaxing
- Look at the bigger picture: what are you doing all this for?
- Spend more time with people and less time with machines.
- Turn off communication devices to work when you leave it.
Balance is essential for your health and well-being. Individuals that are able to find balance between work and family, reap many benefits of doing so: They live more fulfilling lives and enjoy better health, improved relationships with family and co-workers, and perform better at work.
Please visit author, Moshe Ratson at his Google+ Profile:+Moshe Ratson